It has long been known that the majority of the population suffering from varicose veins are women. Still, does this mean male varicose veins are a phrase from the realm of fantasy? Not at all!
Varicose veins in men in the legs, although they occur somewhat less frequently than in women, do not cease to be a rather pressing problem and cause serious harm to health.
What are the dangers of varicose veins on the legs in men? First of all, the fact that men, unlike the fairer sex, do not monitor their appearance closely and turn a blind eye to many changes (including the appearance of the capillary network).
Indeed, in their opinion, the world is full of things more important than "little things" like the condition of the skin and blood vessels of the feet!
However, this misconception often leads to very unpleasant consequences!
Symptoms of varicose veins in men are indicated by several characteristic signs, with the appearance of which (some of them or all together), the patient, unfortunately, is in no hurry to sound the alarm.
As a rule, men tend to eliminate the first "bell" - the manifestation of varicose veins - on external conditions (hard work, strenuous exercise), or even just survive, waving his hand at his health.
So, here are the main signs of varicose veins on male legs.
- Increased discomfort (bloating and signs of itching) in the lower legs.
- The phenomenon of edema, especially in the evening, as a result of an eventful working day.
- Symptoms of pain in places where blood congestion is observed.
- Feeling of "heaviness in the legs", chronic fatigue in the calves.
Rejection of what happened, ignoring your unimportant condition, untimely appeal to the doctor can lead to the fact that blood stagnates in the deformed vein, begins to thicken, and there is a risk of thrombus formation. And this is already a serious danger to life!
The cause of varicose veins in men, although similar to "women", but still has its own specifics.
- Hereditary factors. If your grandfather, father, brother are treated for venous disease, your risk of developing it is higher than those who do not have a dangerous offspring.
- In middle age, metabolic processes in the body gradually decline. And blood flow is, first of all, continuity, energy, speed. If the movement of blood through the veins becomes slow, chances are the swollen veins in the legs can develop abruptly.
- Intense gym workouts, professional sports that involve weight lifting and / or constant tension of the calf muscles can cause unpleasant consequences in the form of varicose veins. So, the likelihood of varicose veins on the legs in men - bodybuilders, football players, weightlifters, alas, is very high.
- Labor activity, in which there is constant tension in the calves. The military, doctors - surgeons, professional athletes are at risk.
- Lack of exercise in daily life. At a lower level, varicose veins occur in those who, for some reason, do not exercise much, do not play sports, spend many hours on their laptops. Programmers, writers, copywriters - at this point we’re talking about you!
- Veins can also swell because a man is only gaining a lot of extra pounds, not controlling his weight, guided by the principle of "plenty and delicious" when choosing daily meals. "Why try to keep the body shape, because this is a woman's concern! "- as "macho" thought. But in vain! The decline in appearance is only a small part of what obesity brings. Varicose veins are a loyal friend of overweight, and there it is a stone's throw for the formation of blood clots.
- Long -term hormone therapy. There is nothing you can do about it, in the treatment of some serious diseases you need to undergo hormone therapy, the consequence of which is the frequent occurrence of varicose veins.
- And finally, dangerous addictions - alcohol and tobacco. For those who are lured by this habit, the veins can swell more often. This is due to the fact that both alcohol and tobacco are enemies of strong elastic channels, as well as direct "provocateurs" of blood thickening.
Therefore, men suffer from venous disease no less than beautiful women. What to do, how to treat varicose veins on the legs in men, so that this dangerous disease never overcomes, or recedes forever?
Treatment and prevention
Treatment of varicose veins in men, the following are the main methods:
- The most effective and efficient way, as usual, is not treatment, but prevention of varicose veins. Take care of yourself while you are young! Go in for sports, distribute the load wisely, choose the type of sport that is most suitable for your body. Watch your diet. Everything should be simple. Remember: those who say that a man should only eat meat are very wrong! Excess animal products in the diet is a direct route to the formation of excess cholesterol, which increases the risk of multiple thrombosis.
- Various folk remedies such as compresses, ointments, homemade swabs.
- Another way to treat varicose veins in men is to wear compression underwear, and you should start with golf or prevention grade leggings, gradually increasing the compression class (if necessary).
- In addition, moderate physical activity, of course, agrees with phlebologists, helps to cure varicose veins in men at an early stage. It can be yoga - complex, jogging for short distances, some kind of exercise associated with lifting the lower legs. Active team games such as football, long runs and weightlifting are strictly prohibited.
- Drug therapy is also very helpful. Patients are prescribed both venotonics, which strengthen the walls of veins, and blood-thinning medications, often based on aspirin. Also, with varicose veins, anti-thrombotic agents are also recommended. Very useful for diseases of the veins and funds based on horse chestnut, which has a complex effect in the form of strengthening the walls of blood vessels and activating venous circulation.
- At more serious disease stages, various types of surgical interventions are used - from minimally invasive - sclerotherapy, phlebectomy, radiation and laser coagulation - to classical surgical interventions associated with partial or complete removal of affected vessels.
Maybe everyone wants to stay healthy for years to come. If you belong to such a majority, then for this you must adhere to certain principles.
- Keep track of your daily status! Any, even at first glance insignificant, changes can lead to the development of serious diseases.
- Adjust your daily routine and diet. Try to make sure during a night’s sleep, the body gets proper rest, and a balanced diet and nutrition only brings benefits and energy.
- Let physical activity be for you not episodic, but regular. Therefore, you can maintain the health of the calves and venous tract for many years.
- Leave the dangerous addiction! Here, perhaps, comments will be redundant.
- Finally, love yourself! Try to prevent the onset of varicose veins, and do not fight the unpleasant symptoms. Remember that a healthy body is better than a healed one.